18 Nisan 2011 Pazartesi

Ridelust Retro: 1986 Ford Mustang SVO

 

 
Ford Mustang SVO
If you’re anything like me then you have a virtual garage tucked away somewhere deep inside your brain. Exotics, muscle cars, classics and imports from all years most likely fill its space, with the only thing missing being the keys. There are so many cars that I’d love to get my hands on in this lifetime, but sadly I fear I’ll only be able to scrape together a few of them. This is the 1986 Ford Mustang SVO and it currently sits in space #152 in my virtual garage. Back in 1984 Ford took a big gamble with the SVO because it was powered not by a V8 or V6, but by a 2.3-liter turbocharged 4-cylinder that produced 175 hp and 210 lb-ft of torque.

Ford Mustang SVO
Keep in mind that this little Pony also packed some pretty trick technology that went above and beyond that of the standard Mustang. This was the first of the Fox bodied Mustangs for example to have a ventilated four-wheel-disc braking set-up. It also came with a full Koni suspension system with adjustable struts, shocks and horizontal dampers, as well as pedals specifically designed for heal-toe shifting.
Ford Mustang SVO
The SVO also packed some visual queues that are to this day, still some of my favorites. A beautiful fully functional hood scoop, double stack rear spoiler and great looking 16-inch wheels rounded out a not only unique, but aggressive looking package. Personally, I’d try to find a 1985.5 model since power was bumped from 175 hp to 200 hp and from 210 lb-ft of torque to 240 lb-ft. Finding a clean one of these babies is tough, but who knows, if the right one comes into the light I may just take it home with me. This ones for sale on Ebay, it’s just too bad it’s red… I hate red.